How Mining and Tech Support Each Other
February 24, 2023
The mining industry has an integral role in supplying the minerals and metals necessary to produce the innovative technologies we use every day.
As a global leader in sustainable mining practices, the Canadian mining industry helps meet domestic and international demand for responsibly produced materials. Let’s look at some of them:
- Communications – Raw materials are used to build the technology people use to connect with each other, including computers, tablets, and smartphones (gold, copper, silver, tantalum, tungsten, lithium, and hydrocarbon).
- Healthcare – Metal-based compounds assist in the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and diseases (uranium in medical isotopes, titanium and nickel in surgical devices, zinc as a disinfectant, and copper as an anti-microbial agent).
- Clean Tech – Materials provide components for such low-carbon technology as solar panels (cadmium, tellurium, and aluminum); wind turbines (lithium, cobalt, and carbon); and electric vehicle batteries (lithium, cobalt, nickel, and zinc).
- Transportation – In addition to electric vehicle batteries, mine materials go into building modes of transportation like buses, boats, and planes (scandium, silver, and hydrocarbon), as well as the steel and iron ore used in transportation infrastructure.
The Mining Association of Canada estimates 60 minerals and metals are produced at 200 mines across the country. They say more mines can be developed so the Canadian industry can play a bigger role in providing materials needed for today’s technology, both domestically and around the world.
Just as mining benefits the tech sector, innovative technology can help the mines enhance worker safety, increase productivity, and reduce operating costs. Focus FS can support you in all three of these areas, with our Emergency Response, Team Safety, and Asset Safety Solutions.
- Emergency Response is designed specifically for the mining industry to improve mine rescue team and equipment management before, during, and after an emergency. Interactive digital maps allow users above and belowground to share vital information in real time. Timed reminders and digital read-ins provide effective O2 monitoring. Data is time-stamped and securely stored for detailed investigations and reporting. Competition and training modes allow users to advance their skills.
- Team Safety lets you create and fill out detailed HSE and related forms from almost anywhere, using a desktop computer, tablet, or smartphone. Instantly communicate findings when connected to the Internet, or securely store vital data and send when back online. The solution also helps you manage preventative and corrective actions, oversee company-wide training programs, and maintain up-to-date certifications.
- Streamline asset and equipment management with Asset Safety. Use intuitive digital forms to complete audits, inspections, and verifications directly in the field. Insightful data and analytics appear on easy-to-read dashboards for fast and effective decision-making. This solution also helps you manage maintenance programs, oversee preventative and corrective actions, conduct inventory programs, and organize day-to-day tasks.
Mines throughout Canada supply minerals and metals needed to build and run cutting-edge communications, healthcare, low-carbon tech, and transportation technology.
In turn, this technology can support the mining industry in keeping workers safe, meeting market demand, and staying competitive globally.
Let’s get started
Contact us to discuss your current strategies and find out how our solutions are improving health and safety at companies like yours.